Hello everyone! I know it has been a little while since my last post. There has been a lot going on at home as well as in the world today. Protests and reflecting on the way society is has weighed heavy on us here in my home and we have had conversations about racism with our children. Along with big changes coming to our home and covid-19 things have made it a little hectic. I did however find some time to sew and have a little disconnected time for myself.
In this blog post, I want to talk about the Camelia dress from a pattern company based in France. Wissew, the pattern company, reached out to me wanting to have me make one of their designs in exchange for the free pattern and a coupon code for my followers (WELCOMEWISSEW). I looked through all of their patterns and I was absolutely in love with all of them but the Camelia dress caught my eyes the most. I really loved the detail and simplicity of the dress design and it looked simple enough to make.
This dress has a tie up back bodice and an elastic back waist band. No zippers or buttons necessary to make this beautiful dress. For fabric it is recommended you use a cotton fabric or fabrics with minimal slip. I went with a cotton scalloped eyelet fabric. I had already had my heart set on the scalloped fabric from the moment I set eyes on the dress. For my lining, I decided to be hard-headed and went for a slippery satin like fabric. The only part of this dress that is lined is the bodice which is something to keep in mind when shopping for fabric. The skirt part is not lined so the pattern recommendation will not include yardage information for that. If you want to line the skirt, calculate yardage accordingly.
Now on to the instructions. The pattern company is based in France and as they state in their patterns, it is the first time they are doing a translation and as a bi-lingual person myself, it can be difficult to translate everything correctly. Wissew; however, did a great job at translating their patterns. My only issue with the instructions is that they can be pretty vague. There isn’t much detail as to HOW to construct the garment and the photos are also not as thorough as similar pattern companies. I would suggest this pattern for anyone who is ok sewing with minimal guidelines. It was pretty easy to construct and figure out just by looking at what the outcome is supposed to be. I think I only used the instructions to figure out how much to fold over for the elastic casing.
My suggestions for this pattern would probably be adding additional darts on the bottom of the bodice (I almost did, this pattern has bust darts). Another would be to hand sew the bodice lining, this pattern calls for top stitching, I didn’t like how it would look. Also, understitch your lining at the neckline to minimize rolling of your lining. Make sure you measure your straps correctly, my mannequin was decommissioned so I couldn’t get a good measurement on myself. Lastly, I omitted the belt piece as I thought it was kind of redundant to be honest (lol). I ended up styling it with my own belt.
I hope this is helpful to anyone looking to sew up this pattern. If you have questions please feel free to contact me and also make sure to follow me on Instagram at @andreanaturally. One last thing, this dress makes a great skating outfit!
Thank you for reading. See you at the next blog post!